Girl With Red Balloon was one of the star attractions at Sotheby’s Contemporary Art Evening Sale in October 2018.
Depicting a girl reaching towards a bright red heart-shaped balloon, the spray paint and acrylic on canvas is one of Banksy’s best-known images.
The auction house said the painting was signed and dedicated and that the vendor had acquired it from the artist in 2006.
The winning bid of £860,000 (£1,042,000 including buyer’s premium) was given by phone at around 9pm, well over the pre-auction estimate of between £200-300,000.
But just after the hammer went down, the painting was shredded, thought to be by a remotely activated mechanism within the frame.
The prized work then came out the bottom in strips.
LIKE BANKSY? CHECK OUT THESE HOT EMERGING ARTISTS
If you like Banksy Art but think his astronomic prices might have become a tad steep you might find solace in knowing there are some younger artists following his trail who have received great response by public and media alike and are showing great signs.
1. VAN DONNA
- Van Donna = Van Gogh + Madonna. Both are the artist’s personal heroes and inspiration.
- An active philanthropist, the artist was selected to donate an original painting sold at the Terrence Higgins Trust annual charitable auction.
- She saw her debut at auctions in Christies’s London successfully selling an original paintings for several thousands of pounds.
- A selection of her artworks was added to the permanent collection of the Faberge Museum in St. Petersburg and the Freud Museum in London. Van Donna’s works have been exhibited in sold-out shows in NYC, Dubai and Riyadh in the show “Riyadh Underground” created by members of the Saudi Royal Family.
- Van Donna counts in celebrity fans like Ringo Starr who picked “All You Need Is Love” as his favourite of her artworks. Top Warhol, Banksy Rothko collectors, global top 500 CEO’s, Royal Families and Heads Of State as well as many celebrities are adding Van Donna artworks to their collections.
- British artist Van Donna recently made the news after the Daily Mail reported that Prince Harry added her diptych ‘Everybody Needs Somebody To Love’ to his own collection, presumably as a love gift for his now bride-to-be Meghan Markle.
Van Donna has so far enjoyed massive press coverage by People, Architectural Digest, Vogue, Grazia, Daily Mail, Cosmopolitan, Insider, Refinery 29, Harper’s Bazaar, Express, Hello!, Mirror, Glamour, Metro, Conde Nast Traveler, Artnet, Yahoo!, IBT, OK!, 9 Honey, Pop Sugar, MSN, 93.7FM, Female First, Whimn, Kiis 101.1, Daily Star, Brides, Bustle and more.